NDCL Student News Magazine

THE MANE

THE MANE

THE MANE

The best story ever told?

Review: Red Dead Redemption 2

Some people would have you believe that the Western genre died in the 60’s. And on the movie screen, they may be right. But Rockstar Games’ Red Dead Redemption II breathes new life into the genre that is practically as dead as the old west itself. Red Dead Redemption II grapples its player with an astonishingly deep story of victory, honor and betrayal in a way that no other game has ever come close to accomplishing.  

Red Dead Redemption II follows a fictional, albeit believable, gang of outlaws known as the “Van Der Linde Gang” named after their leader, and secondary antagonist Dutch Van Der Linde. The gang must rebel against government law enforcement agencies, bounty hunters and rival gangs to secure their future that is very much in jeopardy. The player will experience the saddening decline of the Old West through the eyes of primary protagonist Arthur Morgan, an anti-heroic character who, while honorable, was raised in a life of crime. 

The game is intelligently set in 1899, the year the Old West ended. By 1900, the age of Outlaws, Wagon Robberies, Duels and Parleys were over as technology and industry became sufficiently advanced to suppress and overpower the West. Speaking of the West, Rockstar have masterfully created a game world representing 5 expansive US states, spanning from Colorado, represented as “Ambarino” to Louisiana, resented as “Lemoyne.” Every square inch of Rockstars masterpiece is crafted with utmost care and precision. The casual gamer is free to explore the real life equivalent of 29 square miles (about the area of Cleveland) filled with nearly 200 species of animals, birds and fish. Red Dead Redemption II’s world is one that rivals reality itself. From the alligator-infested Bayou of Lemoyne to the peaks of snow-capped Mount Hagen (all fictitious names of real landmarks), there is no shortage of visual entertainment anywhere within this world.  

Within this beautiful world, the player will experience what is perhaps the most alluring story in all of entertainment. Divided into 6 chapters and two Epilogues, Red Dead Redemption II’s 50-hour story is known to make even the most rigid player tear up. The play will engage in an explosive story brimmed with dynamite, parleys, standoffs and heart wrenching losses all while embracing a period-appropriate arsenal of 1800’s weaponry. The player is free to wield the legendary Single-Action Colt or sawed-off shotgun to accompany his adventures. Want more? A player with a fiery temperament is free to weaponize dynamite, fire bottles or flaming arrows. In fact, one can even combine arrows and dynamite for a pleasant surprise.  

Now, of course, no experience is without fault. Critics of Red Dead Redemption II argue that its story is simply too long. For the genre, 50 hours is certainly far more extensive than other story experiences that range from 20 to 30 hours. Some would respond to this point by arguing that the player thereby develops deeper relationships with the character. Both points have merit, but one criticism that seems to be agreed upon by the community is the slow burn of the first chapter. Players with short attention spans may find friction in completing the first chapter, which slowly introduces the player to the game. 

In closing, there are few experiences that rival the storytelling prowess of Red Dead Redemption II. Despite its flaws, a gamer with some time to spare should certainly consider undertaking the trials and tribulations of the experience provided.